Now that the end of Movember has come, let’s take a look back at what we at Break Media have accomplished. First and foremost, it must be noted that the effort has been a full team effort, in which we Mo Bros grew the staches and our Mo Sistas kept us motivated…and well-fed.
The purpose of Movember is simple: fight men’s health afflictions through awareness and fundraising. While the moustache thing is a fun gimmick, it’s also an avenue to discussing some of the very real health problems men face.
- In 2011, more than 240,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer; more than 33,000 will die from it
- One new prostate cancer case occurs every 2.2 minutes
- A man dies from prostate cancer every 15.6 minutes
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime.
- 48% of testicular cancer cases occur in men between the ages of 20 and 34.
- 1 in 271 men will be diagnosed with testicular cancer during their lifetime.
- Men commit suicide four times as often as women.
- An estimated 8.7 million adult men over the age of 20 in the US have diabetes- and a third do not know it.
- Approximately 50 million men and women in the US have high blood pressure- almost 30 percent of them do not know it.
With a network and a fan base made up primarily of men, it made perfect sense for Break to get involved. In addition to our internal participation, which assembled a network that has raised more than $40 thousand, we produced a number of original videos to support the cause and rally our fans to do the same. Take a look:
Thanks to all Breakers and fans for supporting such a worthy cause, and we look forward to continuing the effort next year!